Monday, June 2, 2008

Stereo Types

When I was still living in Sydney I would always jump on my high horse and reprimand people for using ethnic stereo types.

Fast forward 3 years and I'm one of those people !! After you travel abroad and experience different cultures stereo types do become apparent. Yes I know not ALL people of a particular race behave in a certain manner (duh !) But this is what I have observed:

1. Germans: Yes they do wake up first thing in the morning to beat the crowd & reserve a deck chair by placing a towel or book on it.

2. Koreans: Loud talkers, every conversation sounds like an argument, like wearing caps with wide brimmed visors & sparkles/lace/sequin tops. Plus they love the "all you can eat" breakfast buffet.

3. Aussies: like a drink, very easy going types, but some (when visiting S.E Asia) tend to have the mentality that although geographically neighbours; they are some how Superior to their Asian counterparts.

4. Americans: Loud talkers - Hey buddy sitting at the table 7 meters from me, you seem like a nice guy but I don't care to hear your conversation about how every thing is so much better in the U.S, especially over breakfast when I am nursing a hang over!!

5. Singaporeans: Very image conscious and materialistic, if it ain't branded they ain't wearing it.

6. Malaysians: Life revolves around food! The don't ask "how are you today?" rather "Have you had breakfast/lunch/dinner yet? And no wonder ! Malaysian Makan (food) is the best S.E Asian cuisine in my book!!!

7. Malaysians & Singaporeans: Have no shame in asking for a discount on anything & everything! I've picked up this habit, You'll be surprised how often it works even in stores with fixed pricing !

8. English: Um, like to brag & whinge (I'll blog about one particular pom later)

9. Russians: There is a reason why people day "Never trust a Russian" lol

10. Italians: take them to any Michelin Star restaurant any were in the world for a meal but rest assured "Their Mamma" can make it better.

11. Chinese: OMG! side track for a moment:

Our Chinese Chef will kill & cook anything he can get his hands on !!!

Pythons - Taste like chicken
Turtles - Hubby caught Chef in the nick of time & saved the turtle from becoming the chefs special soup of the day.
Crocodile - Tastes like chicken
Whale - Tastes like chicken, nah joking, I couldn't bring my self to sample this "specialty"

Ok, I'm cutting this post short now as I have probably offended just about every one out there.